Frequently asked the question “is waxing better than shaving?” it’s not as simple as picking one or another. Both have many pros and cons that can decide your final pick. We’ll try to make this pick easier for you later in this text, so stay with us.
As a quick answer, we’ll say: Waxing is better than shaving because the effects last longer and it looks better but you have to deal with more pain.rong>
Waxing pros and cons
Waxing is a method when you use a special type of warm wax that pulls the hair out at the root (think about it as a weed in a garden) the hair will grow back but it takes a while for the root to grow and then become long enough to be pulled out again.
- You only need to wax every 3-6 weeks on average to allow all three stages of hair growth to come back, some people will come in more often because they hate the hair growth and want it gone permanently.
- The hair will grow back thinner and less coarse. Everyone is different and it can depend on your ethnic background on how long it takes for your hair to thin out and soften up, even your age and skin thickness are important here. People of French, Irish, and German descent as well as Mediterranean-blooded people tend to have coarser, darker, denser hair. The genetics here is the main issue.
- After a few tries, it’s gonna get smooth and you will feel clean with no razor rash or burns.
- More often you do this it’s less likely that this will be to grow back over time, waxing weakens the hair follicle, unlike shaving which cuts it at the thickest part of the hair shaft, therefore, growing back prickly and thick.
- Waxing can be uncomfortable, especially if you’re doing it for the first time, each body part has a different sensation and each person has a different pain threshold.
- Waxing can lead to more ingrown hairs. The hair is trying to grow up and out of the follicle but our skin sometimes can grow over and the hair gets stuck. Hair can curve again into the skin then which will lead to many issues, we also do have a full article about this here.
- Redness or even small bleeding can occur. Redness happens mainly on the face – places, where your skin is not that hard, and bleeding primarily on very coarse hair and the main areas, are chest and back for men, sometimes pubic hair and brows. It’s very small bleeding but can freak people out if they aren’t warned, or not that experienced. Redness on your face can last up to one day in very unusual cases, 1-3 hours is more common.
- Not the cheapest way. Waxing kits to do it yourself cost between $25-$100, in the spa or salon expect to pay $45-$100 for a full leg.
Shaving pros and cons
Shaving is a method that involves a razor blade to trim the hair, this is the most common hair removal method. With shaving, it’s as simple as hopping in the shower whenever you need it or whenever best suits your schedule.
- Minimal skin irritation. It doesn’t disrupt the root of your hair, that way the skin stays almost untouched. Moreover, since you are not cutting your hair below the skin you don’t have to worry about ingrown hairs, also check our article about it here.
- Low costs, you can use the same blade for multiple shaves. If you have a better razor then the blade doesn’t have to work very hard to cut the hair so it can be reused few times but remember that after every shave it’s going to be less sharp so the shaving will get harder.
- Beginner friendly, because you don’t need to read any manual to do this in your bathroom. After a few times, you’re gonna get used to it quickly.
- Painless, of course, if you don’t cut yourself.
- Requires less time and effort. Shaving can be done in less than an hour if you’re experienced, also you don’t need to prepare for it something that will take your time.
- The effect is poor, after shaving you’re gonna do this again after a few days, depends on genetics but still, it’s a really poor effect if you compare it to waxing or IPL hair removal.
- Less smooth skin. Your skin is not going to be extra smooth. After all, you still have that hair on your skin even if it’s just a small one because you didn’t remove the root of your hair.
- Chances of cutting yourself, there is a high chance if you are not that experienced that you will cut yourself. The pain and bleeding will be way bigger than this from waxing.
so is waxing better than shaving? Comparison
The answer is pretty simple… it depends. Our main focus should be “The effect that it will provide”, so how good and how long it lasts. If you want to get rid of it for good and forget about it for a longer time, you should pick waxing, but if doing it a few times a week is not a huge problem for you, then consider normal shaving.
We’re gonna shock you but after many articles and consultations, we would not pick any of the above methods. There is the one almost perfect method: the effect lasts long (longer than waxing) and it looks great, is totally painless, and the cost is lower than waxing. This method is called IPL Laser hair removal, and there is a home device for it, also we have many articles about the pros and cons of this method so we recommend you to read it here.
But for this article and after full comparison we have to say that waxing is better than shaving… The common opinion on the internet is that waxing is way better than shaving, as many articles will try to prove it to you, like the one on medium.com that you can read here. We mostly agree with that opinion.
Most people should try the waxing method to see if it fits them well and if the pain is not too much to handle. Also, we recommend trying IPL hair removal to get that smoothskin that almost everyone dreams of. Don’t depend on one method, try to check something new, and don’t be afraid after a few losses.
- Top 5 Best teas for losing weight – On Amazon - January 16, 2023
- Should my boyfriend get me a mothers day gift? - October 13, 2022
- Should My Boyfriend Help Me Financially? - October 10, 2022