Are you one of those people who love sweets? Who can’t imagine coffee without something sweet, or snacking between meals? The problem affects a really big group of people and it is not easy to cope with it. Sugar is unfortunately addictive, so it’s not always enough to just say no.
To the question of how to eat less sweets, there are a few proven methods such as buying diet supplements or substitutes, try not to buy unhealthy sweets, play various sports. Above all, try to distract yourself from eating something sweet and unhealthy at the same time.
We know it’s not easy but try to make changes slowly, don’t do anything drastic as the body is sometimes used to certain foods and will feel unwell without them.
A sweet way to energize and stress, but are you sure?
Let’s start with why we crave sweets. The primary factor is what blood glucose levels we have and eating sugar raises blood glucose levels dramatically.
After consuming something sweet, we have peace for a while, but the body will quickly demand something new. So it leads to a vicious circle, sometimes it seems that sweets quickly give us strength after hard work or exercise.
Nothing could be further from the truth, they are simply addictive, the sugar itself is harmful, but sometimes there are also preservatives and colorings in their ingredients.
How to eat less sweets and sugar?
Drastic diets are not for you? No wonder, after all, no one likes to starve themselves and deny themselves everything, especially something we enjoy. So is it easy to limit eating sweets? Here are some ways to reduce your sugar intake:
– Reduce sugar slowly, when our body is used to something and therefore addicted it is not easy to just tell ourselves we will cut down on eating sweets. We need to do this with caution, sugar often makes us feel better during difficult times, so it’s good to look for other ways. If you’ve been eating two candy bars a day, try halving that for a start, you may be able to completely replace the sweet with something similar and less harmful.
– Don’t sweeten drinks, if you can’t imagine tea or coffee without sugar, a good way is to replace it with sweetener, xylitol, or even honey, which is better quality. When buying products always check the ingredients, drinks are also very heavily sweetened, sometimes it is even several tablespoons of sugar per bottle of drink.
– Avoid energy bars and drinks, if you are a sports person and you like different types of energy bars or drinks, also look at their composition. There is often a lot of sugar in them, as well as colorings and preservatives, and we know that with strenuous exercise, limiting sugar is not exactly good, as the body demands power. Fruit or natural squeezed juices are a good option.
– Dark chocolate, it turns out, is both tasty and healthy in the right quantities. It is a great idea to eat fewer sweets, it gives us energy and its composition is mainly cocoa, which has a healthy effect on the body.
– Walking, when we have a craving for something sweet, a good solution is a walk, preferably in the fresh air. Moderate exercise acts like chocolate by releasing endorphins, we feel happier, and our craving for something sweet passes
– If you have a problem with eating all the sweets in the house, don’t buy them. It will be hard at first of course, but try to limit the amount of them, when you know something is always on hand you don’t hesitate to look in the cupboard. Try switching to sugar-free snacks, maybe they’ll be just as tasty.
– Eat regularly, it is very important how many meals you eat in a day and in what quantity. It’s better to eat more often, in small quantities, it doesn’t put too much strain on your stomach and you don’t have long breaks between meals, which makes you not very hungry.
Reduce stress: when we feel stressed, our brain secretes cortisol, a hormone that has a negative effect on our whole body. By reducing the amount of stress in our lives, we can effectively eat fewer sweets. There are some interesting methods to reduce stress, you can read about them in this post…
– Set yourself a time and limit, it is also a good idea to consciously plan when and what we will eat. It can even be one day a week where we set that we can eat something sweet, for example after a workout. This will help you to effectively not eat sweets at random times.
Cut down on sugar – shop smart
When going shopping, make a list of what you need and stick strictly to what you were going to buy. In the sweets section, if you do need to buy something, look for something with good composition and low sugar content.
It turns out that more and more products are ‘sugar-free’ but they are replaced by other harmful substances such as aspartame or acesulfame k. Unfortunately, when it comes to global sugar consumption, the statistics are worrying as it is really growing at a high rate. Here you can see what the statistics look like …
In summary – How to eat less sweets
Let us be aware of what we buy and eat, and let us pay attention to the composition of food products. Many of them contain other more harmful substances or colorings instead of sugar. So let’s read the labels, nowadays in every larger shop there are healthier substitutes for traditional sweets, dried fruit or nuts are also a good idea.
So how we can eat fewer sweets depends mainly on our awareness of what we can achieve, unfortunately, sweets belong to the group of addictions.
Unfortunately, sweets are addictive. Let’s make conscious choices, and it will improve our health and the satisfaction of being able to decide about our lives.